Kiwi Heritage Homestay in Glen Eden, West Auckland is a great base to explore the great tramping tracks in the nearby Waitakere Ranges Regional Park and West Coast beaches which ranges from short to longer tramps which includes the multi day, 67k Hillary trail for the more serious tramper. A visit to the knowledgeable folk at Arataki Information centre on Scenic Drive recommended.
iSites for information on Auckland and beyond.
Public transport Trans, buses, ferries, for all your public transport information.
Local West Auckland activities/attractions
Cafes in the local area, just a short walk away
- Humbug Café
- Earth Seed Organics, in Glenview Rd, right by the Glen Eden train station
- Pumped Café, right by the Glen Eden train station
Cafes further afield but worth a visit
- Packing Shed Cafe, Oratia
- Huia Food store, lovely café with homemade goodies in the small seaside village of Huia
- The Tannery in Portage Rd, New Lynn
- Stripe café in Titirangi
Organic shops nearby
- Earth Seed Organics, a small organic store with a lovely cafe
- East West Organics, there is a new superstore with café in Portage Rd. The original store is in Glen Eden Village.
- Clarks Organic Meat Specialists for organic meat
- New Lynn night market every Thursday night
- Oratia Farmers market every Saturday morning from 9am
- Titirangi Market Last Sunday of every month
- Avondale Sunday Market every Sunday. The largest and oldest market in Auckland.
Local supermarkets (5 minute walk either way)
- Countdown, Kelston
- Super Value, Glen Eden
- More cafes (Hardware Café, Fringe Café...)
- Lopdell House, Art Gallery. Enjoy views of the Waitakere Ranges and Manukau Harbour from the rooftop.
- Soul (Centre of Body and Mind), Yoga classes, workshops
Waitakere ranges and West Coast Beaches
- Waitakere ranges for tramping and hiking. See the friendly staff at Arataki Visitor Centre for information
- The West Coast Gallery, a small gallery in Piha featuring local artists work.
- West Coast Beaches: Piha, Bethells, Karekare, Muriwai
- Muriwai beach includes Gannet Colony
- Kumeu Wine region (30 min drive). There are many wineries in the Kumeu region, but my personal favourite is West Brook winery in Waimauku
- Artisan Wines in Oratia, just a 10 minute drive
Other places in the local area of interest
- Glen Eden Playhouse,small local theatre
- Trusts stadium, local sports and function venue
- Rainforest Express, for family train ride through the Waitakere Rainforest. Needs to be booked
- Waitakere Tramline, for family train ride along the tramline through the Waitakere Rainforest. Needs to be booked
Auckland city activities/attractions
- Zoo Motions Road, Western Springs
- Kelly Tarltons Tamaki Drive
- Sky Tower, go to the top for great views of Auckland,
- Auckland Art Gallery
- Auckland War memorial Museum
- Wintergarden in the Auckland domain
- MOTAT (Museum of Transport and Technology) in Western Springs
- Snow Planet for Snow fun in Silverdale
- Eden Rugby Park
- Take a ferry ride to Devonport (historic houses, cafes)
- Take ferry ride to the lovely Waiheke Island (cafes, wineries)
- www.aucklandnz.com for information on events in Auckland and more…
- www.bushandbeach.co.nz for tours that will take you to West Coast Beaches, Waitakare Ranges, Hobbiton